Wednesday, January 4, 2012

We're Underway!


Four days into the new year, and I have begun to chip away at some of the things I hope to achieve on my 50 List. Yes, yes these things are always started with a hiss and a roar, and I am under no illusions that I will complete everything.
As mentioned a few days ago, one thing I am determined to do however, is rekindle my love for reading (There could be an unintended pun there, once I get my iPad...). And this morning I finished my first novel for two years. My lengthy hiatus has left me a bit behind the eight ball in terms of only now reading the very popular 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo'. With the release of the movie not very far away, I had to read this as my first read of recent times, as I have an unwritten rule that I must read the book first if I am going to see a movie based on the book. I like to make my own pictures of characters, scenes and events before I am shown someone else's interpretation. 
I loved this book. I am now looking forward to seeing how Stieg Larsson's work will be portrayed on the big screen, though I hope I won't be disappointed. I can appreciate a script writer and film maker making interpretive changes, but I don't enjoy it when the plot is inextricably changed (Like My Sister's Keeper - grrr). 



Alongside my pledge to read more, was the writing of a list of books loved, which I have begun. Many of these I have read more than once. Given time between reads, I conveniently forget enough of the plot to enable me to enjoy reading it all over again!
In no particular order and stretching over a number of years here's the start... 

The Thorn Birds - Colleen McCullough
The World According to Garp - John Irving
Kane and Abel - Jeffrey Archer
Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt
The Bone People - Keri Hulme
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
The Bronze Horseman - Paulina Simmons
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
The Power of One - Bryce Courtney
The Clan of the Cave Bear - Jean M. Auel
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
Crosstitch - Diana Gabaldon
Bridget Jonses's Diary - Helen Feilding
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult
The Poisonwood Bible - Barbars Kingsolver
and now
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson



I have enjoyed other titles by the same authors, but have, at this stage, recorded only those which started me off on that author. And the list is only a start. I would love it if some readers would comment with their own favourites - it may be that I can add them to my own list!
To meet my reading challenge in full, I must read a novel per month. This I will have to balance with all my academic reading, which I also began today - four articles about ethics and issues in regards to educational research. So I have decided that 'bed' will be for pleasure reading only - no work stuff, and no TV or iPhone games before sleep! 







1 comment:

  1. I also really enjoyed The Lovely Bones but was let down by the movie :(

    ReplyDelete